Monday, May 15, 2006

Welcome to a world full of discoveries

This week I awoke to the sounds of Irene Dillon chirping in my ear. Ross the landlord's bullshit was in full bloom. The Upper Haight briefly smelled more of tree pollen than of Humboldt weed and, just like that, spring is here in San Francisco.

Things were looking outstanding by Wednesday night, when after months of trying the museum crew and I finally earned the top prize at Pig and Whistle trivia night. That's right: first place and I am deeply proud, as if I saved a kid from choking. We have come close before but were always thwarted. A month ago it came down to the arbitrary tie-breaking question, "how many times did Fay Wray scream in the original King Kong?" to which we second guessed our winning response in the final seconds. We said 6. It was 78. Finally, though, fate was on our side and this week we drink pitchers of Newcastle Brown for free. The triumph was captured for the ages on cell phone :
















Saturday I taught a class at the Exploratorium. It was about weather and it was bad, though we did make fog in a jar.

As bad as my weather class may have been, the forecast for Sunday called for "abundant sunshine" and it was the first legit hot day of 2006. High of 86! The pull West is practically magnetic on days like this, so I got on my bike and found myself at the Pacific in no time. The scene there was enough to thaw even the cold soul of the great Russian tundra itself: the beautiful day had prompted a solid mile of insane kids frolicking in the surf, ecstatic puppies fetching all manner of spheroid, and flying disc competitors jockeying for prestige among the surf. Not bad for a beach that people usually write off as "depressing" (overlooking the fatality, of course). I took the opportunity to try and absorb as much of it as possible while I walked up and down the stretch, listening to one and a half Dylan albums.

Since I was in the area afterwards, spicy wontons at Shanghai Dumpling House could not be ignored. So I made that happen immediately....so fucking good. I rounded out the evening with a "The Sentinel" and "Inside Man" double feature at the Balboa theater, which is maybe my favorite picture house in the entire city. By midnight, the only thing awake in the outer Richmond was the ocean, softly churning in the distance as I biked home by the light of the ancient Golden Gate park street lamps. Maybe not the perfect day, but a pretty good one. At the very least, enough to get me sunburned:




















It's a shame that today was completely useless. And yes, that *is* a new shirt. Thanks for noticing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home