Monday, March 20, 2006

Navigates genres as well as taboos

A week of deteriorating health, mental and physical.

One of my gayer personal habits is a partiality for flowers in the house and so it goes without saying that daffodil season at Safeway is one of my favorite times of the year. Two bunches for $2.25, yo! So on last Sunday's shopping trip I got some and set them up in the dining room. In a seemingly unrelated anecdote, my breathing was terrible this week and I woke up wheezing in the middle of several nights. It wasn't until Friday that I made the connection between the two and promptly donated the flowers to charity.

What makes that mental lapse even more foolish is that I dissect flowers every week at the museum. I even ask who's allergic to pollen "cuz now we get to look at it up close and personal on the microscope."

Boy did I feel shitty by the weekend though. And it doesn't help that I've been drinking three times as much, thanks mostly to college basketball. Well, college basketball and my lack of cable that has necessitated near-daily trips to sports bars. An unwelcome reality of this new lifestyle is the fact that the only sports bar around that bothers to pony up the $49 a month (predictably unthinkable at Nob Hill Tavern) for satellite games is Green's, the most unpleasant of the Russian Hill thirtysomething bar lineup.

That all would have been fine, if not for Pitt's meltdown against Bradley in the second round of the NCAA tournament. The second round--they don't even have a zany name for that one. And it came after a near-perfect game in the first round win against Kent State (who eliminated Pitt from the tournament 3 years ago). *Sigh* It was a pretty good year for Pitt basketball, though. They only lost one game at home, played a lot of young guys, and got a lot of exposure. One day they will find a way to score points at the end of the season. This was the only good thing about the final game:










This is Jill:













On Friday night I joined her and a few of her friends at a fancy French restaurant to help usher in her 28th year of life. When I was making her a card, I thought about how amazing it is that (a) I have known Jill for almost 10 years and (b) we live in the same city. Doesn't sound so amazing to you, but in my world there are not too many people who meets those qualifications. Although she knows of its existence, it is unknown whether Jill is a regular feather 2 pixel reader so all other remarks have been stricken from he record. Instead, we now bring you this useful piece of advice: eating two and a half rolls at a $40 meal is moronic.

------------

feather 2 pixel flesh pocket update: In which we track the progress of the lump growing on my upper thigh.

Well, I spent the whole week off my bike, more because of rain and appointments than anything else. With nothing to irritate it, the lump has since decreased in size. Instead, I developed a blister on each heel from a routine Sunday walk to the park. I asked Jesus to send me a sign if he thought I needed new shoes, but now I am just confused.

----------

Other items of note:

-traveled with coworkers to Santa Rosa to watch another coworker perform in "Urinetown" in the decade's most overplanned social event.

-Tutoring the worst kid ever.

-Taught another members' class at the Exploratorium (remember the snails?) I am now proud to say that I have invented a brand new way to confuse kids about the phases of the moon .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home