Sunday, February 19, 2006

Such misrecognition is a normal feature

What a wild, wooly week its been, feather 2 pixels fans. And I'll just start out by saying that if you could see me right now, you all would be justified in transmitting your clenched fist right through my face. I will tell you why: I am sitting in a Nob Hill coffee shop called "Nook," blogging away on my laptop, blending in perfectly with the five other white people in here doing the same exact thing. I am now a complete parody of myself, folks!

Not that justifying myself on a blog doesn't make the whole thing twice as disgraceful, but while my apartment is a lovely place to eat and sleep, it is a fucking cave and I can't get anything done in there. And if getting more done means logging on at "Nook," so be it--I will swallow my pride. So last week I bought a laptop on Ebay on here I am. That was a big step for me. Plane tickets and psychotherapy notwithstanding, I don't buy anything expensive.

The Exploratorium retreat was indeed ridiculous. So much so that I felt bad for my two bosses. A lot of people got completely wasted, which of course is OK, but I couldn't believe how little self-control was displayed. I'm serious. I usually defer judgment of others to the good Lord Jesus Christ, but there were people puking over other people's shit and people leaving early because they felt too sick to work. One girl (from Germany, interning with us for a few months) blew me away. Real nice person, but it was as if she was eight years old. She seemed to make no connection between all her drinking Friday night and her complete inability to move on Saturday. She woke up at 6AM and puked on Dizzygirl's sweater, which she never even mentioned. It was only later that week that we found out it was her. Not only that, but for some reason she hadn't thought to bring house keys with her to the retreat, so when she refused a ride home from her boyfriend who had come to get her the next morning, she was stranded, crying in the Mission for the whole day. A helpless little puppy.

As for me, I was too focused on an intense series of games to get too loaded. At some point, I was embarrassed at what I play when I am handed a guitar these days. Dizzygirl quietly downed the better part of a bottle of Jack, which seems pretty normal for her, and we sat in the kitchen till 6 writing a song. Fascinating.

And there was much profusion of feelings, including my least favorite activity of "describing this experience is one word." God help me. I realized, though, that there is a good possibility that my two supervisors are the coolest bosses I will ever have. They lay the West Coast ham and cheese on thick, but I look up to them and respect their intentions. And to a large extent, those intentions are achieved. The retreat reinforced that for me. That weekend probably didn't go as smoothly as they would have liked, but the mere fact that they have trained a pack of such obviously disturbed baboons to willingly advance their educational goals on a regular basis for $13 a hour is amazing.

Speaking of wild baboons, Monday night was the semi-annual Ivy West recruiter appreciation event in the Venice of the Bay Area, Foster City. (A great thing about working at Ivy West is frequency that we are being appreciated). The event is held just for office staff and a handful of others, like me, who help recruit and train the never ending flow of new tutors shuffling in and out of the thug life that is Ivy West Educational Services. Anyways, the boss has been away on maternity leave for a few weeks now and I think its starting it's starting to show. Not that producing the world's longest rubber band at is in any way a waste of time--I'm just envious that I am not more a part of the slow collapse of all order at headquarters.

But I did get to karaoke with a select few after dinner at Millbrae Karaoke House, which is as great as it sounds. It was my second job-related karaoke experience in two weeks which is an experience that I now highly recommend to every employed person in the developed world. Nothing brings you together in quite the same way and its a surprisingly revealing activity.

We will catch up on the rest of the week at a later date.

3 Comments:

Blogger tinkytonk said...

We must karaoke again.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

i know...i am practicing my "Cheney's Got A Gun" for liberal AM radio as we speak.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, your IW coworkers are SO COOL!!!

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home