A survival guide for American families
Here we go: interview time again. Round and round I go, what underpaid, disrespected job I end up at, no one knows!
Actually, I am generally overappreciated and overpaid, to which my 2005 $21,000 gross adjusted income doesn't speak very well. I also get a full benefits and a paid lunch break during my 9-1:30 shift at the Exploratorium.
My interview for Exhibit Developer I is on Friday afternoon, during my real job at the museum (I'm not sure if I should wear my orange vest). And I really don't mind interviews but I am not looking forward to the process in which my life is indefinitely put on hold while I try and do things like plan a Spring trip to Italy and find work for the summer. In reality, though, this truly is a dream job so I will endure the delay and heartache and give it my all. Unless of course they want me to work past 1:30. This brother don't work no 5 hour days.
They asked me to bring a sample of my artwork to the interview, which was intriguing. It was also a good reason to finally finish mastering the digital proofs of my pieces from the show last October. I cleaned up all the images up and went to Kinkos down the street to print and bind a little portfolio. Our 24 hour Kinkos is a hidden perk of the mid Polk Gulch area of San Francisco. You never know when it will come in handy. On the other hand, fuck Kinkos--two portfolios cost me more than $50 to make.
In between intermittent fighting, Carly and I managed to attend two Sketchfest performances. The three troupes on Sunday--including the amazing Will Franken...see him now--were great. The "emerging sketch artists" we saw yesterday are, well...as Carly put it: emerging very slowly. But we support them! The pecking order of the comedy world seems like a big a food chain, with bigger acts devouring lesser ones and shitting them out as parodies of themselves. At the top sits Will Franken, my new God, transcending all.
In distressing news, last Thursday a girl was killed on her bike by a hit and run who ignored a red light. Sarah Tucker was hit at an intersection that I ride through almost every day, she was 26 just like me, she worked at a science museum just like I do, and she was coming from the karaoke bar that I karaoke at! Not only could that have easily been me, but its almost as if the universe spent a few minutes deliberating over which one of us to take.
The really distressing thing is that I was back to taking my whole life for granted ten minutes after these thoughts passed through me.
Actually, I am generally overappreciated and overpaid, to which my 2005 $21,000 gross adjusted income doesn't speak very well. I also get a full benefits and a paid lunch break during my 9-1:30 shift at the Exploratorium.
My interview for Exhibit Developer I is on Friday afternoon, during my real job at the museum (I'm not sure if I should wear my orange vest). And I really don't mind interviews but I am not looking forward to the process in which my life is indefinitely put on hold while I try and do things like plan a Spring trip to Italy and find work for the summer. In reality, though, this truly is a dream job so I will endure the delay and heartache and give it my all. Unless of course they want me to work past 1:30. This brother don't work no 5 hour days.
They asked me to bring a sample of my artwork to the interview, which was intriguing. It was also a good reason to finally finish mastering the digital proofs of my pieces from the show last October. I cleaned up all the images up and went to Kinkos down the street to print and bind a little portfolio. Our 24 hour Kinkos is a hidden perk of the mid Polk Gulch area of San Francisco. You never know when it will come in handy. On the other hand, fuck Kinkos--two portfolios cost me more than $50 to make.
In between intermittent fighting, Carly and I managed to attend two Sketchfest performances. The three troupes on Sunday--including the amazing Will Franken...see him now--were great. The "emerging sketch artists" we saw yesterday are, well...as Carly put it: emerging very slowly. But we support them! The pecking order of the comedy world seems like a big a food chain, with bigger acts devouring lesser ones and shitting them out as parodies of themselves. At the top sits Will Franken, my new God, transcending all.
In distressing news, last Thursday a girl was killed on her bike by a hit and run who ignored a red light. Sarah Tucker was hit at an intersection that I ride through almost every day, she was 26 just like me, she worked at a science museum just like I do, and she was coming from the karaoke bar that I karaoke at! Not only could that have easily been me, but its almost as if the universe spent a few minutes deliberating over which one of us to take.
The really distressing thing is that I was back to taking my whole life for granted ten minutes after these thoughts passed through me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home