Sunday, October 16, 2005

Please save this notice for future reference

Another Sunday passeth, another "Carne Desborada" burrito devoured at El Balazo on Haight Street. Unfortunately, a burritio in the middle of the day, no matter how tasty, is almost always a terrible idea. All non-essential energy of body and mind is diverted to the digestive system like so many ill-advised policies diverted to the feces factory that is the annual California special election. Let's spend 40 million dollars to find out if the Republicans can redistrict the state so the congressional map resembles an aborted fetus. No, I don't think that the Sunday afternoon burrito traditon will last. Fuck it, it was only a few hours old anyways.

I haven't actually read the news in almost two weeks. That's OK cause I find that being vaguely angry at the news is a lot easier than understanding it. I just have not been able to get up early enough to read before work lately. This is slightly disturbing cause it was one of my favorite things to do last spring. I really like the early weekday morning atmosphere on Polk Street, paticularly at Royal Ground Cafe, where there is no shortage of San Franciscans who have become very strange people from decades of living alone. Once in a while I even find the courage to talk to them. They are more than happy to chat. Here is a conversation I had a few weeks ago:

(I am fussing with my padlock for a few minutes, trying to seperate it from the mount so that I can secure my bike)

Old Guy: Is that a Masterlock?

Me: No but this piece of shit is giving me a really hard time.


You see why these people embody the city to me more so than any other group? (See my last post for another encounter w/ Royal Ground old guys) Coffee itself has been part of the reason why I have been unable to wake up early I think. You know that cycle... So I put myself through a modest little detox last week to purge my system of caffeine. It was completely idiotic, seeing as though that at the same time pretty much all I ate was avocado sandwiches and frozen waffles, but I do feel better now. Still not waking up but I feel better.

I think I need to be forthright with myself, though. Yes, caffeine is unpredictable but people who go to bed late wake up late. And people who watch several episodes of The West Wing in one night go to bed late. Yes, I admit it. I truly love The West Wing. I love it when President Bartlett starts on one of his inspirational center-left sermons and the strings crescendo. I love
it when goofy old Donna messes up again only to have the final laugh in the end. I love the steady stream such washed up guest stars as Christian Slater and Danicia McKellar. I even love that every character is basically the same person. If we can't have a progressive in the real White House, this is truly the next best thing. And you know what? Being cheerful about fake news is even easier than being vaguely angry about real news. So yeah... I've been watching a lot of West Wing with Carly. We can't stop ourselves and its driving me fucking nuts. Thank God we finished the disks we rented (He must be expressing gratitude towards me for completely ignoring Rosh Hashana).

So it remains to be seen whether I will ever be informed again. It's not looking like it will start tomorrow--it's 11:44 right now. On the plus side of the ledger, Pitt finally had a good game this weekend. They were surprisingly dominant vs South Florida and, amazingly, have a winning conference record for the moment. But Pitt football is the alcoholic who's never sure if he's truly past rock bottom and so anything remains possible.

While scheduling a tutoring appointment last week, I took part in my first ever conference call with a family of three. It was one of those situations whose self parodying quality was made complete by the obliviousness of everyone involved. Sometimes, you just have to have everyone on the phone!

Dizzy girl continues to unravel her fascinating shell at work. She's in fact married. And during her wedding she broke her foot jumping off a rock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home