Monday, July 25, 2005

Sign below, if lost and returned to BART, ticket will be mailed to you.

I'm back! I don't really know what I feel like writing about tonight. But what are blogs for, right? Just keep your expectations low and we will be OK.

Well... work is almost done. When in doubt, just talk about work. Anyways, by the time July is done, I will have made $80,000 a year for one month. For August, I estimate making somewhere around $25,000 a year. And spending most of it:

1. My brother & his girlfriend Tessa (they managed to break up and get back together between the last two times that I talked to him) , Carly, and I are going to up to Tahoe. D.L. Bliss state park! It's hard to go wrong with D.L. Bliss.

2. I am making a pilgrimage out East to go camping in Maine with Aimee, Ben, and Joe. And then I will go see the son of Jack Frost, Tim, in his new life that is set in Nashua, NH. Here is a picture of us with a complete and Canadian stranger from New Years 2000.


[left to right: Canadian stranger, me, Steph, Tim]

Then I will fly home to Philly where my family and the one known as Andrew J. Shal are waiting to greet me with open arms and slithering vapor trails.

After that, we will see.

OK I have to admit, I am feeling a little drained tonight. I'm running on fumes. I think all I can handle right now are some news blurbs:

-A few months ago I won a free bike from Giant bicycles by writing a fifty word essay on why I should get a free bike from Giant bicycles. I now bike everywhere I can and it rules. If I looks as though my heart is exploding every now and then when I am riding, it's only because I am experiencing a light asthma attack. Getting back up to the 1400 block of Washington Street is a tall order after pretending to be a teacher all day!

-Exploratorium human resources is trying to tell me that after I start working with field trips again in September, I won't be able to receive benefits from the museum until January. The reason is because that I failed to accrue a full 90 days of probationary employment last season and I need to start over from 0. In fact I did accrue only 80 days because said Human Resources department was about 25 days late to process my employment materials while I worked for free at the museum. For four months! Anyways, joke's on them cause I started removing plaque from my teeth all by myself with a really nice nail that I stole from their wood shop.

-After a year, I have finally achieved the status of family tutor for one of my long standing appointments. I worked with the oldest son for 12 months and I begin with the oldest daughter in two weeks. It's a pretty efficient setup there: I teach the kids, the nanny takes care of them, and the dog loves them.

-Just as Carly and I are seriously contemplating moving neighborhoods, Polk Gultch again comes through in a huge way: We finally tried Darbar, the Pakistani place on Polk and Bush that we have for some reason never been to. And it absolutely kicked ass. Cheap, convenient, and good!

Most importantly, this adds another layer of intrigue to the endless complexity that is Polk Street. This time, it works on the level of the geopolitical microcosm, in which Darbar constantly stares across the street at it's hated Indian counterpart, Shalimar, in a seemingly never ending battle of nerves. Whatever the time of day, whatever the day of year, when Darbar looks up, there stands Shalimar, unyielding in it's resolve to release the most flavorful Masala aromas into the night air until precisely 1 am. Anyways, Darbar is a lot better than Shalimar.

-The Hyde Out has recently replaced Nob Hill Tavern as our local bar of choice. Mostly because of Anchor Porter, which is a delicious delicious beer. That, and a great upstairs view of the intersection of California and Hyde Street, which for my $80,000 a year, is one of the most interesting corners in all of San Francisco.

Bedtime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home